Since I am in between so many projects between Valentine’s day and our up coming Anniversary trip (yay!!!) and have nothing to show yet, I decided to share a recipe before I have to store it away for the spring…
I have a HUGE (that word doesn’t even begin to cover it) love of pumpkin and I love to try new recipes. So with the holidays coming to a close and the new year beginning, the use of pumpkin will be dwindling as the time for chocolate covered strawberries, green drinks and cadbury creme eggs (yum!) fastly approaches, I wanted to share this delicious, simple cake recipe that makes use of that yummy pumpkin (you may still have a can lying around too) I made over the holidays. I had promised my dad I would send him the recipe, so I thought I would share it with everyone.
I know me, hubby and my MIL thought it was scrumptious!! Enjoy!
found on SomeThing Swanky Blog (here, check out their blog) via pinterest
Pumpkin Better Than… Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 – 14 to 28 oz can pumpkin puree*
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 – 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 – 8 oz. tub cool whip
- 1/2 bag Heath Bits
- Caramel Sundae Sauce
- Mix together the cake mix, the pumpkin puree (DO NOT add the other ingredients on the cake mix box), and the pumpkin pie spice until a batter forms. Using the 14 oz. can of pumpkin puree will yield a thicker batter. Add more pumpkin if you’d like a thinner batter (which will yield a slightly fluffier cake).
- Pour batter into a well greased 9×13 baking dish. Bake at 350º according to the directions for a 9×13 cake on the cake mix box.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes after baking. Using the bottom of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake (go here for step by step of cake process: here) Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake, filling the holes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread the cool whip over top of cake. Sprinkle on the heath bits, and drizzle caramel over top (just to your liking). Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, or overnight (best).
DO NOT USE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. YOU MUST USE PUMPKIN PUREE IF YOU WANT THE CAKE TO BAKE CORRECTLY. The cake mix + pumpkin puree version of pumpkin cake may not be for everyone. I like it just fine, especially when it’s soaked in SCM and caramel. But if you’re not sure about it, feel free to substitute your own pumpkin cake recipe as the cake base. DO NOT mix together the pumpkin, cake mix, and the other ingredients on the back of the cake mix box!!!! ONLY mix the cake mix and the pumpkin puree. You must let the sweetened condensed milk soak in all the way. Letting it sit overnight will yield best results. Use the bottom of a wooden mixing spoon to poke the holes in the cake– it’s just the right size.
They also note :
DO NOT USE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. YOU MUST USE PUMPKIN PUREE IF YOU WANT THE CAKE TO BAKE CORRECTLY.
Feel free to sub in your own pumpkin cake recipe for my quickie version.
DO NOT mix together the pumpkin, cake mix, and the other ingredients on the back of the cake mix box!!!! ONLY mix the cake mix and the pumpkin puree.
You must let the sweetened condensed milk soak in all the way. Letting it sit overnight will yield best results.
Use the bottom of a wooden mixing spoon to poke the holes in the cake– it’s just the right size.